Planning a vacation/holiday in the UK with your Tesla?
Although our main club has heavy restrictions on access to only UK members we do welcome fellow Tesla owners from across the world to join in discussions if they’re visiting.
The main purpose of this article is to help answer any of your charging questions, guide you in your travel options and help make your holiday in the UK trouble free and relaxing.
In the UK we have 100,000 Electric Plug-In Vehicles including 7000 Tesla vehicles and 12,760 Chargers (June 2017).
Where to go?
The UK is full of amazing sights and thanks to the Tesla Supercharger network, Tesla Destination Network and they’re all fairly accessible.
You might find some great inspiration on:
Lots of people visiting Scotland do the ‘North Coast 500‘ which is a 500 mile roundtrip, many also visit the Isle of Skye
What should I bring?
- Type 2 Cable (ideal for many in-town charging or destination charging)
- Tesla UMC, consider buying a UK adapter from your service centre
- Tesla Chademo Connector
- Mobile phone (iOS or Android) for charging apps (download Ecotricity & Polar Instant)
- Download PlugShare app (iOS or Android)
- Bookmark the following website: A Better RoutePlanner
Can I hire a Tesla?
If you don’t own a Tesla Model S you can hire from one of these approved suppliers:
Where do I charge?
We have the following major charging networks:
- Tesla Supercharger Network – Expanding every month with locations covering the major motorway networks
- Tesla Destination Charging Network – Hotels and Restaurants across the country, most offer this for free for paying customers but some try and charge a fee on top which we as owners don’t like and often will avoid.
- Ecotricity Charging App Network (Chademo Adaptors) – Found across the UK mostly on major motorways
- Chargemaster Polar Network – 5,000 chargers across the country. Monthly: Polar Plus £7.85 per month + £0.09/kWh OR PAYG: Polar Instant £6.00/30mins of Chademo or £0 for Type 2 + £1.50 admin/service charge.
- CYC (ChargeYourCar) – Access to many smaller networks from one card
- PodPoint – 1500 chargers
- Source London – 850+ London Chargers
- Energise – South East of England
- TeslowJuice – Tesla Model S & X private home network
If you need help
The Tesla supercharging network is very reliable in the UK so you probably won’t have any problems but the other charging networks can be less reliable.
If you find yourself low on charge, stuck in an area or simply need help/advice then please contact the club president who will gladly point you in the right direction. If you get no answer immediately and it’s urgent then please message/post on https://www.facebook.com/TeslaOwnersUK/ (public group) or make a request to join our private Tesla Owners UK members only group.
We have over 7000 Tesla owners in the UK so there will be someone nearby to help, we also have a private network of Tesla only home chargers setup for emergency use only.