We’re committed to advancing Tesla’s mission to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy whilst also pushing Tesla to improve, change and react to our needs by empowering our members through active discussions, problem-solving and social events.
Our primary goals are:
- To gather all UK owners & enthusiasts of Tesla products under one roof for easy discussions, problem-solving and social events (TOGUK will always remain confirmed owners only)
- To create & maintain a knowledge base of information for current & future Tesla owners.
- To maintain the approved supplier directory so owners can quickly find a suitable well-reviewed company to help them with their needs.
- To promote the uptake of electric vehicles in the UK and Europe.
- To promote good & safe charging practices.
- To organise exclusive benefits for members.
The history of Tesla Owners UK & TOGUK
Back in July 2014 a bunch of early adopters joined a Facebook group set up by Steve Manley to discuss their Tesla vehicles, the group continued to grow and be an enjoyable place to discuss the good, the bad and the greatness of our cars. Unlike many of the other social media car owner groups in the world Steve set up the group so only confirmed owners could gain access, Tesla took notice of this and gave members exclusive access to information, insights and opened the doors (just a little) to the company, this partnership has continued to blossom to a constant two-way conversation with Tesla and many UK owners, which is unheard of in the motor industry.
In 2016 Tesla recognised the group as the official owners’ group in the UK, it’s important to note that Tesla does not control our owners’ group in any way other than the logo which we use. We the owners control the group. Sadly after many long hours and due to work commitments, Steve had to step down as Group President in April 2017 and the group voted Will Fealey to continue the day to day running of the group for the foreseeable future.
Since April 2017 Will has continued to be the middleman for the group members and Tesla, addressing key issues directly with Tesla executives not only in the UK (Sales/Service/Parts) but also in Tilburg (EU Assembly Plant) and Fremont (Factory).
In late 2017, Will decided to create a board and voting was setup for all members (using their Tesla login to confirm they were suitable to vote and so the system would only allow one vote per car), to vote in an elected board of officers to join the volunteer moderators and Will to structure and organise the club going forward.
In 2018, Will attended the Tesla Leadership Summit in Fremont to relay members concerns to Tesla and learn from other clubs from across the world.
In 2018, we launched the first trial of our Mentorship Scheme, where new owners could be paired with a longterm owner to learn anything and everything about their cars, or simply meet with a nearby owner for a coffee.
Between 2018-2019 the club has continued to grow massively and secured enough funds to purchase numerous items such as rental CHAdeMO and EU charge cable sets, our large marquee tent, large scale signage and flags etc to increase the awareness of our community at events etc.
In 2019, 2 of the elected officers and Will attended Tilburg for the Tesla EU Leadership Conference, we were fundamental in writing up a proposal, list of issues and changes that we wished Tesla would address, this letter was given to Elon Musk and we were thanked for our time and had confirmation that some of these changes/requests would (and subsequently have) taken place.
In 2019, Will attends Fremont for the 3rd consecutive year to liaise with other clubs from http://tesla.com/ownersclub and the US Tesla team.
We’ve taken on large scale charity tasks such as delivering 160 Toy Tesla RadioFlyer cars to children’s hospices and hospitals across the UK.
Between 2017-2019 the community has done the following to improve Tesla ownership for UK owners as well as owners worldwide (link opens for confirmed owners only)
In 2019 regional sub-chapters were setup allowing more local events to take place and allowing the main club to help with insurance and paperwork etc so event organisers can get on with the fun tasks.
Our key to success:
- Continuing to be a fun and lighthearted community of owners
- Pretty much an answer to every Tesla or EV related question.
- Access to owners who are already on their 6th Tesla.
- Our charity efforts
- Nationwide events run by owners & Tesla
- User-written guides
- Access to various experts in multiple fields
- Road trips
- Approved Supplier Directory
- Supporter Discounts
- Our group is monitored (but not controlled) by Tesla, we have over 150 employees in our community, so issues are resolved or escalated quickly.
The vast majority of the content on this website + access to our discussion groups are completely free, however, we do have running costs that need to be paid and therefore we offer a supporter pack to help us offset these costs, you can learn more about this on our supporter pages. The supporter fee is determined by our team and can be adjusted at the general meeting according to documented costs.
Is it TOGUK, Tesla Owners’ Group UK or Tesla Owners UK?
We basically have:
- Tesla Owners UK Limited that is known as Tesla Owners’ UK – The main name for everything we do, then within that we have:
- Tesla Owners’ Group UK (TOGUK) – The primary discussion group the majority of us are in & the url that we own that links to this site
In an ideal world, I’d change the name of Tesla Owners’ Group UK (TOGUK) to Tesla Owners’ UK