This can happen for several reasons:
- If you’re moving between countries and the wheels of the car haven’t moved (e.g. on the Channel Tunnel)
- If the car has been on a trailer for an extended period of time or the wheels aren’t turning
- A software update has just taken place
- If the car has lost data + GPS signal (e.g. within an underground car park)
What are the symptoms?
- It can sometimes show you in the wrong country (e.g. France when you’re driving in England after getting out of the Channel Tunnel)
- If it’s really not sure it may show the car at the Tesla HQ in the US
How do I fix?
- Simply start driving again with good signal and it should instantly have sorted itself (or very worst case within 5 minutes)
- Failing that perform a reboot.
- If the issue persists request a service appointment or if it’s preventing you from driving call roadside assistance.